The big news this week in the economic sphere (and the political sphere, and the business sphere, and well, just about every news sphere here in the United States) was the resolution of the government shutdown/deficit ceiling increase. So, yay, the government is functioning again! (Well, it’s functioning as well as it ever does…but that’s a subject for a political blogger to cover.)
There’s not a whole lot that I have to say in regards to this issue; I laid out some basic thoughts two weeks ago in my only rant on the subject, and that’s not much new that I have to say. If you wish to look into the matter further, from an economic or (far more common, unfortunately) political viewpoint, there are so, so, SO many sources out there that you can check out.
As for me, I’d rather be writing about the loss of my beard (side note: it’s growing back pretty well, and I should have a solid beard regenerated within the next week or so) and sharing some good posts from the last week. Speaking of which, it’s time to share some of the great posts from the past week, starting with
Great Yakezie Posts
5 Ways Your Social Media Accounts Gamble With Your Finances – Your behavior on sites like Facebook and Twitter can affect more than your personal life, as The College Investor shares.
Should You Take a Job That Requires You To Travel? – Jobs that require travel have their own set of considerations, as Prairie Eco-Thrifter notes; consider carefully before taking them.
Other Great Posts
10 Unique Halloween Treats the Kids Love-But Rarely Get! – You might have guessed it, but ‘fun-sized’ candy bars aren’t the tops on kids’ Halloween wish lists; these treats noted by Len Penzo are!
Contests and Giveaways
- How to Buy Halloween Costumes and Not Break the Bank Plus a Giveaway! – Halloween is always a fun holiday, even without this contest from John of Frugal Rules; enter by Halloween if you hope to win!
- Giveaway: $200 in Discover Gift Cards – You can win gift cards from Young Adult Money if you enter by October 27th (aka, my birthday).
- Friday Giveaway Round-Up-204 Giveaways – Speaking of Young Adult Money, be sure to check out David Carlson’s weekly round-up of all the ongoing giveaways for the coming week.
That’s all I know of for this week; if you have a giveaway you’d like to share, please pass it along!
Where The Amateur Financier Was Featured
My article covering 6 Investment Strategies to Generate Retirement Income was a popular one, being featured in numerous carnivals, such as:
- Carnival of Financial Independence at My Personal Finance Journey
- Carnival of MoneyPros at Mo’ Money Mo’ Houses
- Carnival of Retirement at The Frugal Toad
- Carnival of Financial Camaraderie at Faithful With a Few
- Financial Carnival for Young Adults at Mom and Dad Money
- Yakezie Carnival at Rather-Be-Shopping
That’s it for this week. Hopefully there won’t be any new political hailstorms to report on next week. (Although, it sounds like we’re scheduled to hit the debt ceiling again in February, and need to pass a budget again before that, so it won’t be too long before we have an issue like this). Regardless of what political issues may come, I hope that everyone reading this has a great week next week and a wonderful weekend. Enjoy!