1040 form

When do You Need to Submit a 1040 Form?

There are several types of federal tax return forms. Individuals and businesses are required to use the form that best fits their particular circumstance and allows them to claim the income, deduction, etc. that apply to them.

If you are a new business owner and are required to obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN) for tax purposes, IRS-EIN-Tax-ID offers a simplified online application to avoid common mistakes. Your EIN will be delivered to you via secure email within 24 hours.

Individual Income Tax Return (Tax Form 1040)

IRS tax form 1040 is the basic tax form used to report an individual’s federal gross income. This included goods, money, services, and property. Form 1040 is more extensive than other forms and is considered the “long form”. Furthermore, form 1040 allows individuals to claim various tax credits and expenses, adjusted income, and itemize deductions. Form 1040 provides more opportunities than the shorter forms to reduce their tax obligations.

When Must You Submit Form 1040

You must submit form 1040 if you are involved in a partnership, S-Corp, self-employed, or the beneficiary of an estate. Additionally, you must file form 1040 is any of the following situations apply:

  • You owe excise tax
  • You are eligible for a premium tax credit
  • You get AMT (alternative minimum tax) adjustments
  • You owe household employment taxes
  • You are qualified for the foreign earned income exclusion
  • You paid foreign taxes, earn foreign wages, or are claiming tax treaty benefit
  • Have income from a business, trust, rental, or farm
  • You are a debtor in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy case
  • You have sold property, bonds, mutual funds, or stocks

In addition to applying for an EIN, you can verify EIN number status by entering the email address used on your application through IRS EIN or your order number.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *