I don’t know about you, but I haven’t seen much about anyone’s plans for Labor Day weekend yet. Admittedly, it’s not a huge holiday; most people are just visiting some relatives, doing a little BBQing, and/or finishing up some last-minute before school shopping (assuming there are any schools that haven’t already started; most seem to cut further and further into kids’ summer fun). It’s not a huge deal for most people.
It’s going to be a bit more complicated for me and Sondra, though. While we are technically just going to see my mother for a week, there are some factors that make things more difficult. My mother is a six hour drive away, for starters, which is not the easiest to do at the best of times. Add in the need to bring a week’s worth of clothing and baby supplies to cover the trip for our daughter Elaine, and the fact that we’re bringing our dog (who doesn’t particularly like long drives in his kennel), and it’ll be quite the experience.
Still, it’ll be nice to see my mother again (as well as my extended family, during our annual Labor Day picnic). It’s always to spend time with my family, particularly during the holidays. That said, there is still plenty of prep work that needs to be done to get two adults, a dog, and a baby across Pennsylvania (I smell a possible movie plot), so while I work on getting that done, how about you enjoy some interesting blog articles, starting with these:
Great Yakezie Posts
Saving Money, Relationships, and Sanity by Ditching the Kitchen – I’m lucky enough to have a wife who loves to cook, but if you don’t, this Yakezie article from Untemplater has some good advice.
Sometimes We Need a Kick in the Pants In Order to Take Action – I don’t know about you, but I definitely agree with Squirrelers; it sometimes takes outside forces to get me moving.
Should I Include My Primary Residence When Calculating Net Worth? The Case For Yes – The Financial Samurai throws out his thoughts on the debate about whether the place you live counts in part of your net worth.
Murder Mystery Dinner for the WIN!!! – Sometimes the most seemingly weird ways to spend your time can be the most fun, as this article from Crystal of Budgeting In the Fun Stuff illustrates (literally).
Other Great Posts
Contests and Giveaways
- Get Started Investing $500 Cash Giveaway – This giveaway from The College Investor could definitely get your investing jump-started, if you remember to enter by August 31st.
- 2 Year Blogiversary and iPad+Cash Giveaway -To celebrate two years of blogging, Making Sense of Cents is holding an impressive giveaway until August 28th.
- Friday Giveaway Round-Up-240 Giveaways – I’m not sure about you, but I’m definitely planning to add Young Adult Money’s weekly list of giveaways to my required reading list.
That’s what I’ve come up with for this week; if you know of any contests or giveaways you’d like to share, please let me know and I’ll be sure to help spread the word.
Where The Amateur Financier Was Featured
My most recent Net Worth Update: August 2013 was featured in several blog carnivals, including:
- Yakezie Carnival at Well Kept Wallet
- A Carnival with a Money Color to It at The Color of The Money
- Epic Readathon #1 at Fine Tune Finances
- Carnival of Money Pros at Money Q&A
Alright, that should be enough for now. Here’s hoping everyone has fun plans ready for Labor Day (and the next two weeks in general), and that you